Monday, June 7, 2010

Loose Ends

Today and tomorrow, my goal is to tie up all of the things I've been working on for the past weeks.

After meeting with Beth this afternoon, we made a giant to-do list of things that need to happen before I can close up these projects. Here are the projects I have, and the things that need to be done to them before they're finito:

1. Calculating the average Surface Brightness within the half-light radius. Beth and I spent a long time discussing the effect of ellipticity on the half-light area, and thus the Surface Brightness within this area. I've since made a few pretty figures that shows this relationship, both in general, and with respect to our specific data. I'm still trying to figure out if I can make the assumption that the Elliptical half-light radii calculated in the Martin et al 2008 paper can be used for the major-axis radii of the half-light ellipses. (Gosh, that was a figurative "mouthful" that I hope I still understand tomorrow...)

2. Graphing distance from home galaxy vs. said Surface Brightness above. So far, I have this for Milky Way dwarfs, and the graph is labeled and pretty. However, some error bars are missing, so I need to account for those tomorrow.

3. Graphing size vs. Mv, with lines of constant Surface Brightness overplotted on top. Still need to do that last step. I think I have all the pieces to accomplish that tomorrow.

Great. So, hopefully, all of this can be finished tomorrow-- (unrealistic?)-- and then move on to bigger and better things. That way, I can struggle with those bigger and better things while Beth is away in France next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment