I usually post good, happy bits, but I'm not feeling too hot about today.
Goal: write some code to take a file with info on 4 million+ stars and create a function that relates apparent magnitude to magnitude and color errors. This will then be useful when generating more accurate CMDs.
I did start this, and eventually created another file that only used data of 500,000 stars so IDL would run faster. However, I spent quite a few hours working with the 4 million star fits binary table, so a lot of my time was spent waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for IDL to give me a different error message. Not a great feeling. Also, my for loop is irky, and I don't feel really experienced enough to debug it properly.
Tomorrow morning hopefully I'll figure this out. Especially because our group meeting tomorrow marks the halfway point for research and we will share our progress from the last 5 weeks, and goals for the next 5 weeks. I've been really good about bringing things (figures) to group meetings, but I'm afraid my rut will prevent me to bring my usual good news and progress...