Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Making Fakes

It's happening! After closing loops on old data analysis projects, and writing about it LaTeX, I'm beginning the process of making fake dwarfs!

What this means, is that I take random star samples from the Ursa Major HST stellar data set, and make them into other "fake" dwarf galaxies. I did this many times, and had not 1, not 2, but 25
figures to bring to group meeting today. They were all of CMD's of these fakes, some of several fakes of the same sample size overplotted on one another. After group meeting, I calculated total magnitudes of these simulated dwarfs.

Next step: randomly distribute said stars spherically with an exponential fit. Beth will show me how to do this tomorrow.

Big goal: put these fakes at different distances and against different backgrounds, and LOOK FOR THEM!

We're approaching the halfway mark soon enough, so it would be great to get hopping on this!

Science is so cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment